A TOTAL of 361 entries have been received for the second running of the Irish EBF Ballyhane Stakes at Naas on bank holiday Monday, August 2nd.
The race, which has a minimum prize-fund of €200,000, has attracted 240 entries from Irish-based connections and 121 from Britain. There are 200 colts and geldings entered, along with 161 fillies, including last Sunday’s Curragh winner Missing Matron.
The race is aimed at the progeny of sires with a median sales price of no more than €75,000 at last year’s yearling sales who are also EBF eligible, with weight allowances for horses with a lower median sire price.
Horse Racing Ireland, Irish EBF and Ballyhane Stud will again examine the possibility of increasing the prize-fund and staging a second race to provide more opportunities for the large number of entries received.
Last year’s inaugural running of the race saw the prize-fund being enhanced to an impressive €320,000 with prize money awarded to all finishers and the staging of a second race, the €80,000 Silver Irish EBF Ballyhane Stakes.
Joe Foley, owner of Ballyhane Stud, said; “We are delighted to, once again, attach a €50,000 bonus to the winner’s prize money if it’s by a Ballyhane stallion and also offer a complimentary Ballyhane nomination to the winning breeder.
“This is a significant prize to target for anyone with a qualifying two-year-old and everyone in Ballyhane is delighted to be associated with this fantastic event which we co-sponsor with the Irish European Breeders Fund.”
John O’Connor, chairman of the Irish EBF, said: “Between this lucrative race, the 26 median sires series races and the 27 auction series races, there is at least €1.6 million of prize money on offer in these Irish EBF-supported races for connections of two-year-olds this year.”