Sign in to your account
Forgot / Reset Password? Click here
Not registered with The Irish Field? Register now to read 5 Field+ articles for FREE
Just one final step...
You must confirm your email address by clicking on the link we’ve sent to your email address.
You are only one short step away from reading 5 free Field+ articles.
Equestrian events awaiting clarity on Level 5 restrictions
Register now to read five Field + articles
for free per month.
Only takes a second!
Already registered with The Irish Field? Sign in
By registering an account you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
Equestrian events awaiting clarity on Level 5 restrictions
on 22 October 2020
Uncertainty as the sport horse industry await clarity about continuation from Sport Ireland under Level 5 restrictions

THE three-day sport horse performance sale due to take place at Goresbridge next week has been postponed due to the country moving into Level 5 Covid-19 restrictions, however, there is still no clarity from Sport Ireland if equestrian events can continue.

In an update this morning (Thursday), Horse Sport Ireland said: “Over the past number of days, Horse Sport Ireland have been in regular contact with Sport Ireland and the Department of Agriculture, Food and Marine, in respect of sport horse production and equestrian activity continuing within the Level 5 restriction as introduced in ROI.

“As yet, Horse Sport Ireland have not received the necessary clarifications and decision needed from the relevant bodies, in order to issue further direction to our stakeholders. We fully appreciate the uncertainty that this is causing for equestrian businesses and elite/professional athletes around Ireland and thank all those involved for their patience during this period. Horse Sport Ireland are continuing its efforts to obtain the necessary clarifications and will communicate this to the equestrian community immediately, as soon as it becomes available.”

Meanwhile next week’s sales at Goresbridge and the three-day Connemara Pony Sales in Clifden, due to take place this coming weekend, have both been postponed.

A statement from Goresbridge said: “Due to the increased government restrictions announced last night, the Goresbridge Sales team has made the decision to postpone our October 27th, 28th and 29th Sport Horse Performance Sale to the later dates of December 2nd, 3rd and 4th. The safety of our customers and staff is of the utmost importance to us and we look forward to the rescheduled date.”

Connemara Pony Sales posted an update, saying: “Regarding the new Covid-19 guidelines and moving to Level 5, in order to comply with the guidelines set out and in the interest of everyone's health and safety, the correct course of action is to postpone our proposed sale this weekend.

“It is our intention to reschedule for the 4th, 5th and 6th of December, subject to government guidelines and consultation with our many buyers, sellers, customers and especially those who have ponies entered in this weekend's sale.”

Related tags
Classifieds
Get full unlimited access to our content and archive.
Subscribe to The Irish Field
Unlimited access to The Irish Field via your computer, mobile device, tablet or newspaper delivered to your door.
Already a subscriber? Sign in