IF you have ever walked in to a stable and, rather than enjoying the pleasant aroma of horses and hay, found a pungent smell forcing you to catch your breath then you have encountered ammonia.

Within a few seconds your eyes are streaming and there’s a burning sensation in your throat. Ammonia is highly irritant to the eyes and respiratory tract of both people and animals. Inhaling it is not only an unpleasant experience, it’s also potentially very harmful to the airways. A stabled horse may spend the majority of its day inhaling this noxious substance, leading to airway inflammation and breathing problems. The good news is that ammonia build-up in stables can be avoided by good stable hygiene and building design.