TIPPERARY's Kevin Babington won the CSI3* Assante Classic on Friday with Shorapur at the 2019 International Bromont at the Olympic Equestrian Park in Canada.
Course designer Michel Vaillancourt did not make it easy for the athletes. With only 81 seconds allowed, the course that featured 13 obstacles for 16 efforts, including three double combinations, beat a lot of pairs. The distances, especially inside the combinations, combined with the height of the obstacles resulted in many faults over fences. In the end, six pairs succeeded in avoiding penalties, but a time fault prevented Jill Henselwood and Eblesse as well as Hyde Moffat and Gisborne VDL access to the second round.
Christine McCrea, the first rider to execute a clear round in the first phase with Jarcobond Van Den Oude Eik, scored a double clear in 40.37 seconds, but left enough margin for the other riders in the running: Kevin Babington and Shorapur, Jonathan McCrea and Aristoteles V as well as Andrew Kocher and Chacanntus. Babington and Shorapur executed the second round with confidence, and their steady pace paid off, as they finished with a clear round in just under 35.15 seconds.
The 44th edition of the International Bromont concluded today (Sunday) with the presentation of the U25 Grand Prix, the Canine Equine Challenge, as well as the long-awaited CSI3* Grand Prix.
Results - CSI3* Assante Classic
1. Kevin Babington (IRL) / Shorapur 0-0, 35.15
2. Jonathan McCrea (USA) / Aristoteles V 0-0, 37.67
3. Christine McCrea (USA) / Jarcobond Van Den Oude Eik 0-0, 40.37
4. Andrew Kocher (USA) / Chacanntus 0-DNF
5. Jill Henselwood (CAN) / Eblesse 1, 82.46
6. Hyde Moffat (CAN) / Gisborne VDL 1, 82.83
7. Alexanne Thibault (CAN) / Chacco Prime 4, 74.67
8. Keean White (CAN) / Tahiorn 4, 76.66
9. Andrew Kocher (USA) / Cosmona 4, 77.34
10. Lindsay Douglass (USA) / Butterfly 4, 79.59
10. Julia Madigan (CAN) / Dee Jee 4, 79.59
Source: Phelps Media Group press release