Sign in to your account
Forgot / Reset Password? Click here
Not registered with The Irish Field? Register now to read 5 Field+ articles for FREE
Just one final step...
You must confirm your email address by clicking on the link we’ve sent to your email address.
You are only one short step away from reading 5 free Field+ articles.
Goffs and Tattersalls Ireland react to lockdown extension
Register now to read five Field + articles
for free per month.
Only takes a second!
Already registered with The Irish Field? Sign in
By registering an account you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
Goffs and Tattersalls Ireland react to lockdown extension
on 24 February 2021
The two big sales houses have amended their plans following the Government's roadmap announcement this week

GOFFS and Tattersalls Ireland have altered their plans for upcoming bloodstock auctions following Tuesday's announcement by the Irish Government that Level 5 restrictions will remain in place until early April.

Goffs will go ahead with Part 2 of its February Sale of 2020 foals (now yearlings) on March 11th but it will be held as a live online sale.

The Tattersalls Ireland February National Hunt Sale has been put back to Wednesday, April 7th.

For the Goffs sales, vendors will be asked to upload conformation films and veterinary information to the Goffs website so that potential purchasers can make as informed a decision as possible prior to bidding.

Every 2021 yearling will be presented with a veterinary certificate against which purchasers can re-examine within 48 hours of the fall of hammer to give added confidence to bidders whilst the online information will provide a farm location, where applicable, should local buyers wish to arrange a socially distanced pre-sale inspection.

Goffs' chief executive Henry Beeby said: "Whilst this is not our first choice, an online option offers an opportunity to trade and several vendors implored us not to simply cancel the sale. We recognise it will not suit some and that buyers would prefer a physical sale, as would we, but we must react and adapt to the latest Government directives. At this stage we simply cannot say with any degree of certainty when we could hold a physical sale that is both safe and compliant in the short term, and vendors need certainty as they plan their year rather than yet more delays."

Confirming the Tattersalls Ireland plan to wait until April 7th, the company's CEO Simon Kerins said: "It was hoped that we would be in a position to hold the February National Hunt Sale in March and we have been planning as such since our announcement earlier this month. It is disappointing that we have been forced to reschedule the sale yet again but with the current scale of the pandemic and the continued Level 5 restrictions it is necessary to do so.

"We have received feedback from vendors who understand the situation we are facing but all have a common objective, to sell their stock as soon as it is safe to do so. We hope that this revised schedule gives some clarity to our clients and we thank them for their patience and understanding during these extraordinary times. Rest assured that we will work tirelessly to provide the best possible opportunity to sell and buy as soon as possible."


Related tags
Get full unlimited access to our content and archive.
Subscribe to The Irish Field
Unlimited access to The Irish Field via your computer, mobile device, tablet or newspaper delivered to your door.
Already a subscriber? Sign in