Launched in 2017, Envy, the new herbicide by Dow AgroSciences, has proven to be a major advance for weed control in paddocks.
It contains two powerful ingredients - the tried and tested ingredient fluroxypyr and the brand new active ingredient for grassland - florasulam. The mix of these powerful ingredients with two different modes of action ensures a very wide spectrum of weed control in grassland.
Envy delivers exceptional control on buttercups, dandelions, chickweed and daisies and it is particularly safe to grass. It is well suited for the use in equine pastures where weeds dominate the sward.
Envy adds greatly to the armoury in controlling weeds in horse paddocks according to Chris Maughan, Technical Manager with Whelehan Crop Protection, who distributes the Dow AgroSciences range of products on the Irish market. “Like many products from the Dow AgroSciences stable, Envy has a short stock exclusion of just seven days and there is also peace of mind as there are no issues with residues in manure afterwards," said Chris.
Envy should be applied at two litre/ha in 200 litres of water any time up to the end of November, making it an excellent choice for established grass and it can also be used in newly reseeded paddocks from an early stage due to its excellent safety on grass.
Best control of weeds, especially buttercups, dandelions and docks is achieved before they flower. This allows the best absorption of the chemical into the plant and down to the root which helps to give longer term control. Spraying weed when they are in flower leads to poorer longer term control and they can make a quicker recovery.
Envy comes in a three-litre pack which treats 1.5 hectares (3.75 acres) and is available from your local Co-Op or Agri merchant.
ENVY BEST USE ADVICE
• Envy is a contact herbicide, so broad-leaved weeds not present at application will not be controlled
• If weeds grow beyond the ideal stage ie flowering, consider cutting or topping the field and spraying the regrowth.
• Allow 2-3 weeks after cutting or topping before applications of Envy are made to allow sufficient regrowth of the weeds
• Allow an interval of 4 weeks after application before cutting grass for hay to optimise the effect of the herbicide and allow it to get down to kill out the roots
• Do not roll or harrow grass for 10 days before or 7 days after application
• Envy will kill clover or other legumes
• Grass seed can be stitched in one month after application
• Grazing can resume after just seven days
• This may need to be longer if foliage of poisonous weeds such as ragwort is present
ENVY KEY FACTS
• Contains two powerful ingredients - Florasulam and fluroxypyr
• Weeds controlled: buttercups, dandelions, docks, chickweed, daisies and plantains
• Use rate: 2.0lt/ha
• Water volume: 200lt/ha
• Pack size: 3lt
• Treats: 1.5 ha (3.75 acres)
• Available from your local Agri merchant or Co-op.