Article Date: 03-May-2012
Camelot will face a field of 17 in Saturday's QIPCO 2000 Guineas at Newmarket, which is expected to be run on easy ground.
Missing from the field is Jim Bolger's Dewhurst Stakes winner Parish Hall, presumably because the ground is unsuitable.
Camelot was champion two-year-old European colt in 2011 following his stunning victory in the Group 1 Racing Post Trophy at Doncaster and he is one of two runners for Aidan O’Brien along with Power, winner of the Group 1 National Stakes at the Curragh and runner-up on his final appearance of 2011 in the Group 1 Dubai Dewhurst Stakes.
O’Brien is seeking his sixth QIPCO 2000 Guineas success.
There is a third Irish-trained contender in Born To Sea. Trained by John Oxx, the son of Invincible Spirit is out of the outstanding broodmare Urban Sea making him closely-related to the brilliant 2009 2000 Guineas hero Sea The Stars. Born To Sea won impressively on his debut last season before finishing runner-up in the Group 3 Killavullan Stakes at Leopardstown in October.
Franceis represented by thee starters, Abtaal, French Fifteen and Hermival. The trio all contested the Group 3 Prix Djebel at Maisons-Laffitte on April 5th, with French Fifteen getting the better of Abtaal by a neck with Hermival a further length and a half back in third.
Trainer Richard Hannon, who has three 2000 Guineas winners to his name, saddles a quartet of runners - Bronterre, Coupe de Ville, Redact andTrumpet Major - while Beckhampton handler Roger Charlton has declared Top Offer, impressive when landing a maiden on his only start at Newbury last season and popular in the ante-post market over the winter months.
The QIPCO 2000 Guineas forms part of a seven-race card on day one of the QIPCO Guineas Festival, Saturday, May 5, which also features the £100,000 Group 2 Qatar Bloodstock Jockey Club Stakes (2.30pm) which has attracted eight runners including the 2011 Melbourne Cup victor Dunaden.
The £55,000 Group 3 Pearl Bloodstock Palace House Stakes over five furlongs has attracted 18 sprinters, including last season’s Group 1 Nunthorpe Stakes heroine Margot Did.
On Thursday afternoon, Newmarket Racecourses’ Director of Racing, Michael Prosser, reported soft ground on the Rowley Mile racecourse after 25 millimetres of overnight and early-morning rainfall.
Prosser said: “There has been immeasurable light drizzle from 7am but it has been mainly dry and cool since then.
“The course has taken the rain extremely well. The forecast is for it to be largely dry on Friday, Saturday and Sunday although there is the possibility of an isolated shower late on Friday afternoon which may give one to two millimetres of rainfall.”
THE QIPCO 2000 GUINEAS (THE 204th RUNNING)
Class 1, Group 1, part of the QIPCO British Champions Series, £376,500 total prize fund. Saturday, May 5, 2012. For 3-y-o entire colts & fillies, one mile. Weights: colts 9st; fillies 8st 11lb. Entries closed March 6, entries revealed March 7 (63 entries). Scratchings deadline April 24 (26 remained), five-day confirmation stage & £30,000 supplementary entry stage April 30 (21 five-day confirmations, 1 supplementary entry). final declaration stage, 10.00am (18 declarations), May 3. Form figures supplied by Weatherbys and are correct up to and including the racing of Wednesday, May 2.
Form Horse/Draw Owner Trainer/Jockey/Draw
1) 211-2 ABTAAL (USA) (2) Hamdan Al Maktoum Jean Claude Rouget FR/Christophe Soumillon
2) (1)222-2 BOOMERANG BOB (IRE) (8) R J Tufft John Hills/Seb Sanders
3) 12- BORN TO SEA (IRE) (14) Christopher Tsui John Oxx IRE/Johnny Murtagh
4) 114-3 BRONTERRE (11) Michael Pescod Richard Hannon/Jamie Spencer
5)11- CAMELOT (12) Derrick Smith, Sue Magnier, Michael Tabor Aidan O'Brien IRE/Joseph O’Brien
6) 231150-1 CASPAR NETSCHER (5) Charles Wentworth Alan McCabe/Shane Kelly
7) 211151-5 COUPE DE VILLE (IRE) (3) Macdonald, Wright, Creed, Smith & Jiggins Richard Hannon/Paul Hanagan
8) 313- FENCING (USA) (15) George Strawbridge John Gosden/William Buick
9) 111121-1 FRENCH FIFTEEN (FR) (16) H H Sheikh Mohammed Bin Khalifa Al Thani Nicolas Clement FR/Olivier Peslier
10) 1-3 HERMIVAL (IRE) (4) Gerard Augustin-Normand Mikel Delzangles FR/Gregory Benoist
11) 111212- POWER (17) Michael Tabor, Derrick Smith & Sue Magnier Aidan O'Brien IRE/Ryan Moore
12)4012-4 PTOLEMAIC (1) Fiona Denniff Bryan Smart/Tom Eaves
13) (1)1402-4 REDACT (IRE) (13) Kennet Valley Thoroughbreds III Richard Hannon/Jim Crowley
14) 311320-(5) RED DUKE (USA) (10) Maxilead Limited John Quinn/Tom Queally
15)15(3)362- SAIGON (7) Patrick Dalby & Richard Schuster James Toller/Robert Havlin
16)11005-(1) TALWAR (IRE) (6) Vimal Khosla Jeremy Noseda/Frankie Dettori
17)1- TOP OFFER (9) Khalid Abdulla Roger Charlton/James Doyle
18) 021415-1 TRUMPET MAJOR (IRE) (18) John Manley Richard Hannon/Richard Hughes
THE FOLLOWING HORSES WERE TAKEN OUT AT THE FINAL DECLARATION STAGE: FURNER'S GREEN (IRE), MANDAEAN, MIGHTY AMBITION (USA), PARISH HALL (IRE)
The views expressed in the comments above are not those of The Irish Field. Please contact us to report abuse.Other related articles: