Camelot still on track for Curragh
Camelot remains on course to make his next start in the Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby on Saturday week, June 30th.
Anne Marie O’Brien, wife of trainer Aidan, said on Monday: "Aidan is planning to run Camelot in the Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby but no final decision has been taken yet. He always has a few horses in the race and the other horses (Imperial Monarch, Astrology and Athens) are still all in the mix. It will be the weekend before plans are finalised."
There is a strong possibility that Epsom Derby runner Main Sequence will be supplemented into the race when entries close on Monday 25th June. Trained by David Lanigan in England, he will benefit from the reduction in the supplementary entry fee which was announced by the Curragh earlier this year.
Local trainer Dermot Weld has won this race twice before with Zagreb (1996) and Grey Swallow (2004) and he has high hopes that recent Group 3 race winner Speaking Of Which can supply him with his third success.
Another local trainer, John Oxx, has also won this race twice before with Sinndar (2000) and Alamshar (2003) and expects to be represented by Akeed Mofeed and Call to Battle. Jim Bolger, successful with St Jovite in 1992, is likely to run Light Heavy in the Group 1 contest.
If horses are part of your life, make The Irish Field part of your week
Other related articles:
- Seven more Godolphin positive tests Seven more horses owned 20-May-2013
- Derby and Oaks latest fields 17-May-2013
- In Saturday's paper (May 18th) In Saturday's paper 17-May-2013
- In Saturday's paper (May 11th) In Saturday's paper 10-May-2013
- In Saturday's paper (May 4th) In Saturday's paper 03-May-2013
- BHA's Al Zarooni verdict reasons On Tuesday the 30-April-2013
- In Saturday's paper (April 26th) In Saturday's paper 26-April-2013
- Eight-year ban for Godolphin trainer Godolphin trainer 26-April-2013
- Al Zarooni to face charges on Thursday Godolphin trainer 24-April-2013
- Turf Club statement on JT McNamara The Turf Club issued the 22-April-2013