Coyle on target in Leipzig
Trevor Coyle chalked up Ireland's first victory of the weekend at the five-star World Cup show in Leipzig, Germany, when taking the trophy in the feature class on Thursday night.
The 53-year-old jumped Alexander Lebon's French mare Jubilee d'Ouilly into first place in the 1.45m speed class with a clear in 54.04 seconds. Current world number one rider, Sweden's Rolf-Göran Bengtsson, and Ab 19 Chianti were second in 54.17, while Billy Twomey and Sally Lane's Wings Sublieme were ninth in 60.53.
The last-named partnership were closer to the top in Friday morning's 1.45m accumulator when sixth in 51.26. Victory went to French rider Simon Delestre (Quiness Du Mezel) in 47.63.
Denis Lynch is also in action the show and finished ninth in this evening's 1.45m speed class when clear in 54.87 on Abbervail Van Het Dingeshof. Germany's Rene Tebbel (Kolibri's Firebird) won the class in 51.23.
The three riders will be hoping to make an impact in Leipzig's World Cup Grand Prix on Sunday afternoon.
Other related articles:
- In this week's Irish Horse World IN THIS WEEK'S IRISH 19-September-2014
- Splaine names Arezzo Nations Cup team IRISH 18-September-2014
- In this week's Irish Horse World In this week's Irish 12-September-2014
- WEG 2014: Allen finishes seventh in world 08-September-2014
- In this week's Irish Horse World IN THIS WEEK'S IRISH 05-September-2014
- WEG 2014: Crunch time for Team Ireland THE 04-September-2014
- WEG 2014: Allen beats the best 02-September-2014
- WEG 2014: Bertram Allen talks about his clear round 02-September-2014
- WEG 2014: Show jumping begins tomorrow THE 01-September-2014
- WEG 2014: Irish eventers book Rio Olympics place EVENTING - IRELAND GRABS 31-August-2014