Coyle on target in Leipzig
Trevor Coyle chalked up Ireland's first victory of the weekend at the five-star World Cup show in Leipzig, Germany, when taking the trophy in the feature class on Thursday night.
The 53-year-old jumped Alexander Lebon's French mare Jubilee d'Ouilly into first place in the 1.45m speed class with a clear in 54.04 seconds. Current world number one rider, Sweden's Rolf-Göran Bengtsson, and Ab 19 Chianti were second in 54.17, while Billy Twomey and Sally Lane's Wings Sublieme were ninth in 60.53.
The last-named partnership were closer to the top in Friday morning's 1.45m accumulator when sixth in 51.26. Victory went to French rider Simon Delestre (Quiness Du Mezel) in 47.63.
Denis Lynch is also in action the show and finished ninth in this evening's 1.45m speed class when clear in 54.87 on Abbervail Van Het Dingeshof. Germany's Rene Tebbel (Kolibri's Firebird) won the class in 51.23.
The three riders will be hoping to make an impact in Leipzig's World Cup Grand Prix on Sunday afternoon.
Other related articles:
- Splaine reveals team for Hickstead 31-July-2014
- Splaine names Aga Khan squad HORSE Sport 21-July-2014
- Splaine names Aachen Nations Cup squad IRISH 09-July-2014
- In this week's Irish Horse World Inside this week's 04-July-2014
- Trevor Breen wins Hickstead Derby TIPPERARY native Trevor 29-June-2014
- Splaine names his WEG contenders IRISH show jumping team 23-June-2014
- In this week's Irish Horse World In this week's Irish 20-June-2014
- Stallion owners reach consensus with HSI Heading: Stallion owners 20-June-2014
- Splaine names Rotterdam Nations Cup team 19-June-2014
- World Equestrian Games eventing squad named Nick 18-June-2014